Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Review: Lake Silence by Anne Bishop

Lake Silence Lake Silence by Anne Bishop
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is my first foray into the world of Anne Bishop, and I have to say that I wasn’t disappointed. The book is so lyrical, it flows from the pages into a world of descriptive joy, and I just couldn’t put it down!

The book centres on main character Vicki DeVine, a human who has taken over a rustic resort near Lake Silence. Vicki is trying to start up her business with her lodger, Aggie (one of the shape shifting Others) when trouble is literally stumbled upon and turns Vicki’s life upside down. Enter a lot of characters who quite surprisingly are easy to keep track of and a lot of twists and turns and amazing descriptive writing and you have a winner!

This book was a big surprise for me. I got it from the library and read the first few chapters and thought ‘okay, this is different’. The whole book has a different view on shape shifters verses humans and where the lines are drawn which was really refreshing. There were a few times that I didn’t quite understand who some of the Others were and I think this was due to not having read previous books, but if anything, it did make me more intrigued and I have now ordered more books by this author from my local library. Go libraries!

I loved the idiosyncrasies of the characters and how their thoughts and feelings didn’t come across as fake or contrived (even the characters that were horrible) and that the Others sense of communication was so vastly different from the humans. I also loved the fact that Vicki teachers the Crows to play Murder as a human and then they teacher her to play it as an Other.

Lake Silence is full of different POV’s and the change from each character is done so elegantly you end up reading the whole book in a day! Just saying! Also, if you’re looking for romance, this is not the book for you! There aren’t any fast, passionate romps in this book and to be honest, it didn’t need it. The story help its own and I can only recommend it if you haven’t read it yet!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment